It seems almost every day that Apple, Google, or Microsoft announces a new mobile device, a new technology feature, or a new application. Some are designed to simplify life when you’re on the go – and others are just fun – but there are many apps today that can help your boost your business – whether you are using an iPad, an Android or other smart device. (Currently I’m using a combination of my Blackberry and an iPod Touch). Here is a small sampling of apps worth checking out:
1. Goodreader – Need to read lots of files on the go? Here is your solution for PDFs, Word, Excel, Google Docs, and more. Better yet, you can download documents from URLs. The reader handles heavy documents without a problem and can even unzip files easily. Its clear management system makes it easy to find what you are looking for quickly and to store all your professional documents with just a finger tap. Available for iPhone, iPad, $0.99
2. Bump – Gone are the days of exchanging business card. It’s not good for the environment, they are easy to lose, and you will ultimately want the data in a digital format anyway. This app allows you to simply bump hands with your colleague while you each hold your devices and Voila! you can share contacts, calendars, and even connect via LinkedIn and Facebook. Available for iPhone, iPad, free
3. Evernote – Their motto says it all: “Capture anything, access anywhere, find things fast.” Record a conversation or lecture at a conference, snap a photo, capture a web clip and more. This handy app will ensure you never forget any piece of important information. Available for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, free
4. Mobile Defense – Do you carry sensitive, private information on your mobile device? To protect your client information in case you lose your phone– or better yet, lock your phone remotely or locate a missing phone, sign up on their website to be notified of the next release for this powerful app. Available for Android, free
5. ClockIn – Keeping track of time while working as a freelancer with multiple clients, or billing by the hour, can be difficult, especially while you’re on the go. This app, with just a tap or two, makes the whole process simple. Not only that, but the data is easily exportable in other formats and can be sent out via e-mail. Available for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, $2.99
There are many more apps that seem to do magic – stay tuned for follow-up posts with more reviews. Have a favorite app that has revolutionized your professional or personal experience? Please comment so we can all benefit!